Monday, September 19, 2011

Shooting With Pink Pistols

I found a group online called the San Jose Pink Pistols. I know San Jose. I know pink. It was time to know pistols.



San Jose Pink Pistols is a fellowship that welcomes the LGBTQ community and inclusive-straights to meet at the San Jose Municipal Firing Range and bone up on the art of brandishing a weapon. Our Fearless Leader brings a couple of gym bags filled with rifles, handguns and bullets and allows everyone to share.



After hearing some scary shit via an orientation by our Fearless Leader and one of the range's volunteer safety instructors, I put on my eye and ear protection and chose a 9 MM Browning. (Elizabeth Barrett Browning manufactured guns? Who knew?) The Browning had a wood handle and was made for the Belgium army. My Leader walked me through the processes of assembling the handgun then handed me the disparate parts.


Browning Bulls-eye
Red circle first shots; Green circle final shots


I loaded five shells in the magazine (which loads just like a PEZ dispenser), slammed the clip up that mofo, racked the slide ... ready ... aim ... and slowly pulled back on the trigger five times.


Glock Bulls-eye
Red circle first shots; Green circle final shots


I reloaded the Browning and shot it again. I tried a .40-caliber and felt recoil but stood my ground. Next a .38 Special. (I didn't have the nerve to roll the bullet-filled barrel like a cowboy.) Finally, I reached for a .45-caliber Glock pistol. I looked at this movie star gun and knew that - as long as there was nothing IN the gun, I couldn't make a mistake. So I obsessed on making sure I knew how many bullets were in the gun, in the chamber, and how many I had spent AT ALL TIMES. My Leader checked back from time to time (as a responsible Leader would) and I shot a bunch more rounds. Definitely felt the most recoil with the .45-caliber.


Analyze your shoot based on
where the bullet hits the bulls-eye


I was told I had good grouping. According to Wikipedia, accuracy in aim and a steady hand are required to make your shots hit the target very close to each other in a grouping. You need only look at the circles on the bulls-eyes provided to know that this writer is a marksman with good grouping.

And I'm glad for this talent because we gotta keep ourselves armed and ready for the zombie apocalypse.


Shooting stall;
target is about 20 - 30 feet back


  • Wash your hands before you leave the range.
  • Use both wax earplugs and protective ear phones.
  • It is loud.
  • Always know how many bullets are in the magazine and the chamber, and how many have been spent.

NOTICE



Shooting stall; second view


Thanks to Will for the pictures
of the San Jose Municipal Firing Range.



No comments:

Post a Comment