Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I'm A Faggot

I have lived on the east end of a small one lane street in San Jose, CA for ten years. There is a house on the west end of the street in which a man, a woman and a child live with a dog. I've seen the man outside maybe 20 times in ten years and he nor I have ever attempted a meet and greet although I am friendly with his next-door neighbor (as he seems to be), a neighbor across the street and more households as you might walk closer to the east end of the street. Now I know why.

I took Max out for a walk (as I have done twice a day since I bought the house) and walked by this man's home. Max peed on his lawn. I continued walking and was at the corner (almost three houses away) waiting for Max to pee again when I heard someone yelling.

"You forgot something here."

I didn't know if the sentence was meant for me so I turned to see what was happening. The man in this house had (seemingly as I had not actually witnessed this) passed me driving home, and stopped his car in the middle of the street in front of his house after he saw me walk away with Max. When I turned he was getting out of the car and walking to his lawn.

"Huh?" I replied.

He crouched a little and looked around the lawn.

"I said you forgot..."

He seemingly realized that there was nothing there.

"Never mind."

When I realized what had just happened I yelled back (as I was almost three houses away).

"I am your neighbor why would you think I would not pick up after my dog on your lawn?"

I wanted to continue imploringly but all I could do was pull a bag out of my pocket. "I have bags."

"You know, fuck you." said the man.

"What?"

"I said I'm sorry but fuck you for getting excited."

"That's nice language to be yelling on this street."

"Faggot."

"Asshole."

I turned and walked.

I'd like to file this episode away with a quote from Anne Frank. Unfortunately, with the negative discourse that only grows deeper with each passing day, the intolerance of people towards people, the fear-mongering of those seemingly in charge, and the animosity of difference I'm not sure I still believe it.

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment